About: Eucalyptus is the most popular essential oil for decongestion from colds, bronchitis and sinusitis, whether the infection is viral, bacterial or fungal. Used with steam inhalation, eucalyptus clears the respiratory system and relieves accompanying sore throat, headache and neuralgia.
Eucalyptus oil kills airborne bacteria and is a good room disinfectant and deodoriser when used in a vaporiser or diffuser.
It is also effective in stimulating mental focus, promotes feelings of relaxation and relieves tension.
The essential oil of eucalyptus is also used as an insect repellent or treatment for insect bites.
The purifying and uplifting property of eucalyptus oil makes it an antidote for both mental exhaustion and emotional constriction. It's also a good psychic cleanser for removing negative energy in the home.
- Stimulates mental focus, helps relax the mind and relieves tension.
Kills airborne bacteria and is a good room disinfectant, insect repellant.
Helps with decongestion from colds, bronchitis and sinusitis, whether the infection is viral, bacterial or fungal
- Clears the respiratory system and relieves accompanying sore throat, headache and neuralgia.
- Shows Anti-viral activities when diffused (see below)
Directions of use:
- Aroma Diffusion: Add 3-6 drops of oil in an aroma diffuser.
- Apply few drops of oil on a wet ball of cotton and keep bedside.
- Add few drops of oil at the back of the pillow.
- Use with diffuser lockets, diffuser jewelry
- Topical use: Add 2-3 drops of oil to a carrier base/oil (ex: aloe vera gel, almond oil, jojoba oil/coconut oil, etc) and apply. Recommended 2% dilution
- Inhalation: Add 2-3 drops of oil in hot water for steam inhalation. (Note: Not all oils can be used. Eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary, geranium, tea tree, etc can be used.)
Botanical Name: Eucalyptus Globulus
General effect: Cooling, refreshing, balancing
Plant part: Leaf/Stem
Aromatic Description: Camphoraceous, airy
Collection method: Steam Distillation
For external use only. If pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Possible skin sensitivity.
Anti-Viral activities/properties :
American journal of essential oils and natural products states that Oil vapours could have therapeutic benefits for people suffering from influenza, and possibly other membrane containing respiratory viruses. In vapour phase Citrus bergamia and Eucalyptus globulus were very active against influenza virus following exposures of only 10 minutes. Pelargonium graveolens and Cymbopogon flexuosus were also very active with 30 minutes exposure. This suggests that these oils in their vapour phases could be potentially useful in influenza therapy.
Disclaimer: Products and methods recommended are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.